- FORTH at a glance
- Central Administration
- Crete University Press
- Science & Technology Park of Crete
- FORTH Internal Committees
- PRAXI Network
- Liaison Office
- Researchers - Personnel
- The Disk of Phaistos
- Institute of Electronic Structure & Laser
- Institute of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
- Institute of Computer Science
- Institute of Applied and Computational Mathematics
- Institute for Mediterranean Studies
- Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences
- Institute of Astrophysics
- Institute of Petroleum Research
Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Patras, Greece
Chairman, Board of Directors, and Director of the Central Administration of FORTH , Greece (2005-2009)
The Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH) mourns the loss of Professor Alkiviades Ch. Payatakes, its Director and Chairman of the Board of Directors, who died on November 29, 2009, after a valiant battle with cancer.
1973: PhD in Chemical Engineering, Syracuse Univ., USA
1968: Diploma in Chemical Engineering, NTU, Athens, Greece
Previous Employment / Occupation:
1999-2006: Director, FORTH/ICE-HT
1980-1981: Professor, Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Houston, USA
1977-1980: Associate Professor, Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Houston, USA
1974-1977: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Houston, USA
1973-1974: Research Associate, Brunswick Corp., Skokie, Illinois, USA
Transport Phenomena. Fluid Mechanics. Analysis and modelling of porous media. Particle-fluid systems and colloids. Multi-phase flows in porous media. Filtration of gases and liquids. Soil reconstitution including natural attenuation and biodegradation. Transport phenomena in cellular biological media (biofilms, tissues, etc.).
Participation in Research Projects:
Main coordinator/ partner in over 50 international (NSF, Energy Institute, ERDA, DOE, STIMULATION STRIDE, BRITE-EURAM, ENVIRONMENT & CLIMATE), national (Ministry of Technology, EPET-II, PAVE) and industrial (DUPONT, SHELL DEVELOPMENT, MARATHON OIL CO, SHELL, SEIKO EPSON and other) research projects. Establishment and Management of the Innovation Relay Centre, HELP-FORWARD NETWORK.
100 refereed journal papers. 12 papers in books. 31 papers in international conference proceedings.
Participation in over 80 international conferences.
Fluid mechanics, transport phenomena, unit operations, theoretical modelling and simulation of physicochemical processes, particle-fluid systems, transport processes in porous media and applications, multiphase systems and interfaces. (At the Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Houston, TX, USA, and the Dept. of Chem. Eng., Univ. of Patras, Greece).
American Institute of Chemical Engineers. New York Academy of Sciences. American Mathematical Society. Technical Chamber of Greece. Greek Association of Chemical Engineers.
Prizes / Honours:
Greek State Scholarship (1964-68). Petzetakis Fellowship (1965-68). Suttle Award, The Filtration Society; London (1975), du Pont Young Faculty Grant (1978). Best Fundamental Paper Award, American Inst. of Chem. Eng., Texas (1979). Halliburton Engineering Faculty Research excellence Award (1980). Best Fundamental Paper Award, American Inst. of Chem. Eng., Texas (1980). Allan P. Colburn Lectureship, Univ. of Delaware (1981). Robert W. Vaughan Lectureship, California Inst. of Techn. (1982). Associate Member of the National Advisory Council for Research, Greece (1987-91). Member "Physical and Engineering Science and Technology Panel" of NATO. (Vice Chairman 2001; Chairman 2002.). Member, Editorial Board, Transport in Porous Media (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000-present). JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science) Fellowship 2005. (Tour of lectures in several universities and companies in Japan, March 20 - April 9. 2005).
- "True-to-Mechanism Model of Steady-State Two-Phase Flow in Porous Media, using Decomposition into Prototype Flows", M.S. Valavanides and A.C. Payatakes, Adv. Water Resources, 24 (2001), 385-407.
- "Improved atomistic simulation of diffusion and sorption in metal oxides", Skouras, E.D., V.N. Burganos, and A.C. Payatakes, J. Chem. Phys., 114 (2001), 545-552.
- "Gallilean invariant lattice-Boltzmann simulation of liquid-vapor interface dynamics", A.N. Kalarakis, V.N. Burganos, and A.C. Payatakes, Phys. Rev. E, 65 (2002), Art. No 056702, pp.1-13.
- "A three-dimensional lattice-Boltzmann model of van der Waals fluids", A.N. Kalarakis, V.N. Burganos, and A.C. Payatakes, Phys. Rev. E , 67 (2003), Art. No 016702, pp. 1-8.
- "Estimation of the Diffusion Coefficient of Aerosol Particle Aggregates using Brownian Simulation in the Continuum Regime", A. Moskal and A.C. Payatakes, J. Aerosol Sci., 37 (2006), 1081-1101.
- "Capillary pressure spectrometry. Toward a new method for the measurement of the fractional wettability of porous media", V. Sygouni, C.D. Tsakiroglou, and A.C. Payatakes, Phys. Fluids, 18(No 5) (2006): art. no. 053302.
- "Hierarchical Simulator of Biofilm Growth and Dynamics in Granular Porous Materials", G.E. Kapellos, T.S. Alexiou, and A.C. Payatakes, Adv. Water Resources (2007), in press.