- FORTH at a glance
- Central Administration
- Crete University Press
- Science & Technology Park of Crete
- FORTH Internal Committees
- PRAXI Network
- Liaison Office
- Researchers - Personnel
- The Disk of Phaistos
- Institute of Electronic Structure & Laser
- Institute of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
- Institute of Computer Science
- Institute of Applied and Computational Mathematics
- Institute for Mediterranean Studies
- Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences
- Institute of Astrophysics
- Institute of Petroleum Research
"Vassilis XANTHOPOULOS - Stephanos PNEVMATIKOS" Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching
Vassilis Xanthopoulos - Stephanos Pnevmatikos" Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching is given every year by the Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH) starting in 1991. Vassilis Xanthopoulos and Stephanos Pnevmatikos, Professors at the University of Crete and members of FORTH, were murdered in the evening of November 27, 1990, at Heraklion while teaching an advanced seminar
The Award is the only academic prize in Greece that rewards the excellence in academic teaching.
The concept of Excellence in Academic Teaching
The concept of excellence in academic teaching goes beyond the capacity for clear, comprehensible, interesting teaching while in class. It encompasses all the activities that open new scientific horizons for the student, provide inspiration and guidance through research, impart a sense of scientific values and inspire a quest for truth.
Selection and awarding procedure:
1. Eligible for the award are all members of the educational and research staff of Greek universities, specialized scientists and other members of teaching staff, members of research centers with university teaching work, as well as those who used to hold any of the above posts (e.g. professor emeritus) in the past. However, the award will only be bestowed upon living persons.
2. Potential awardees are proposed by one or more persons (e.g. teachers or students) that have personal experience of their educational work. Proposals must be documented and signed and are regarded as confidential and can be examined again along with the new ones in the following years.
3. The award follows a three-year subject cycle (Sciences, Humanities and Art, Biomedical Sciences). In 2019, proposals for Humanities and Art will be accepted.
4. The Award is decided by a Committee of distinguished academic teachers and scientists. The Committee encompasses a wide range of sciences. All interested parties can be informed of the identity of the Committee members.
5. The Committee evaluates the proposals, collating and possibly searching for additional relevant documentation.
6. The ceremony of the Award is usually held on November 27 or thereabout. November 27 was the date on which Stephanos Pnevmatikos and Vassilis Xanthopoulos were murdered.
Recipients of the Award:
- 1991: Mr. Petros Kriezis. Emeritus Professor at the National Technical University
- 1992: Mr. Dimitrios Pantermalis, Archaeology Professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- 1993: Mr. Constantine Gardikas, Emeritus Professor of Medicine at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 1994: Mr. Emmanuel Sarris, Professor of Space Physics and Technology at the Democritus University of Thrace
- 1995: Mr. Andreas Gazis, Emeritus Professor of Law School at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 1996: Mr. Panayiotis Soukakos, Professor of Medicine School at the University of Ioannina
- 1997: Mr. John Tegopoulos, Emeritus Professor at the National Technical University
- 1998: Ms. Georgia (Gina) Pesketzi-Politi, Emeritus Professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- 1999: Mr. Constantine E. Sekeris, Professor of Biochemistry of Medicine School at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2000: Mr. Vassilios A. Dougalis, Professor of Mathematics at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2001: Mr. Panayiotis Moullas, Professor of School of Philology at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- 2002: Mr. Theodore Moundokalakis, Professor of Medicine at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2003: Mr. Panayiotis Lambropoulos, Emeritus Professor of Physics Department at the University of Crete
- 2004: Mr. Theodore Chantzipantazis, Professor of Philosophy Faculty at the University of Crete
- 2005: Mr. Charalampos Moutsopoulos, Professor of Pathology at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2006: Mr. Ioannis Ioannides, Professor of Computer Science at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2007: Mr. Antonios Manitakis, Professor of Constitutional Law at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- 2008: Mr. Charalampos Roussos, Professor of Medicine at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2009: Ms. Souzanna Papadopoulou, Professor of Mathematics at the University of Crete
- 2010: Mr. Aristides Baltas, Professor of Philosophy of Science at the National Technical University
- 2011: Mr. Panayotis Macheras, Professor of Pharmacy at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2012: Mr. Stephanos Trachanas, Director of Crete University Press and Honorary Doctorate Recipient, University of Crete
- 2013: Ms. Maria Efthymiou, Assistant Professor of History at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2014: Mr. Dimitrios Trichopoulos, Professor of Epidemiology, Harvard University and National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2015: Mr. George Gazetas, Professor of Soil Mechanics/Dynamics at the National Technical University
- 2016: Mr. Paschalis Kitromilides, Professor of Political Science at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2017: Mr. Michalis Koutsilieris, Professor of Medicine at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
- 2018: Mr. Apostolos Giannopoulos, Professor of Mathematics at the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
Submission deadline and other useful information:
For 2019, proposals that fall within the circle of Humanities and Art are accepted.
The closing date for sending proposals is set to June 28, 2019.
Click here to view the call and further information for 2018 (in Greek only -pdf format)
Click here to see the timeline of thematic cycles under consideration (in Greek only -pdf format)
For further information:
V. Xanthopoulos - St. Pnevmatikos Award Secretariat
Central Administration - FORTH
N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton, P.C. 700 13 Heraklion, Crete, Greece