Third International Conference of the Center of Maritime History
Insular and Maritime Societies in the Mediterranean, Black and Red Seas is the Third International Conference in Maritime History organised by the Center of Maritime History, in the Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS/FORTH), in Rethymnon.
To be be held in person at the Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS/FORTH) in Rethymnon, Crete, from November 3-5 2023.
The Conference focuses on a broader discussion of the history of insular, littoral, and maritime societies. In this regard, primary importance will be given to methodological analyses and the consideration of wider geographical or human regions rather than just to particular localities as case-studies. Looking at economic and social aspects, this Conference aims to explore a variety of issues. Participants are invited to consider the questions below:
- Concepts: Different conceptualisations of what is included or excluded in the history of insular, littoral and maritime societies.
- Interaction between Sea and Land economies and economic experiences.
- Sea regions: Hinterland-Foreland, Isolation-Connectivity in a new context.
- Historical process: the influence of the evolution of technologies and expertise.
- Sources, databases and research projects for the study of insular, littoral, and maritime societies
- Sea Cultures: the strengths and limits of interdisciplinarity.
image: Lapie, Pierre M., Carte Reduite de la Mer Mediterranée et de la mer Noire.